AN INSIDE LOOK AT AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE AND CHRONIC PAIN DAY BY DAY.

Friday, January 15, 2010

my story

So now that I got the facts out - I wanted to let you know that I decided to write this blog thinking that it would not only be cathartic for me, and helpful to others who share my experience, but also educational for those who know someone, love someone who has one of these diseases or for someone who just doesn't understand why we whine all the time. Especially when it's cold or rainy.
My story begins at 13. I had a bout of Strep throat that mis-fired and went to my kidneys causing Nephritis. I was a pretty sick kid. Then I came down with Strep again and it went to my skin causing Guttate psoriasis. I was covered with very small plaques of psoriasis. They call it "teardrop" psoriasis because the plaques are so small - only problem is, it covers 90% of my body and stays for months at a time! It's like having poison oak for months!! Itchy! Sore and bloody. Ugh.
The first doctor my momma took me to said it was mites. Oh brother! I don't know how long it took until they realized it was Psoriasis, but I do remember the Coal Tar. In those days, it was all they had in the war against Psoriasis. Coal Tar. My momma would slather it on and wrap me in saran wrap. It was awful.
As I grew older, I was having awful low back pain. One day it was so bad, I even passed out from it. I almost didn't wake up, they had to use mouth to mouth resuscitation. I guess that was my first memory of the start of my pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment